Friday, August 3, 2012

Blankets

I am excited about something, yeah you read that right.  A few weeks ago I felt like I was being nudged to do something to help other mommas in my place.  I came across a verse in my quite time, and  I suppose that's what started it.

I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last.  Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.  This is my command: Love each other"   John 15:16-17

When I read that, I thought....really Lord?!  Honestly, who on earth could I help in my shape? It's only been a month, and I'm still pretty much a basket case.

Hindsight is 20/20 and looking back at my time in the hospital, there are things I wish I would've known to do differently.  It all happened so quickly, and we were all in shock.  We left the hospital virtually empty handed, other than our pictures and our memories.  I cherish those, but I wish I would've had more.  The nurses wrapped Jacob in a special blanket when they brought him to me.  I would give anything to have that blanket.  My mom even tried.  She went back the next day and asked the nurses if she could get it.  They said no because that's THE blanket that's used when babies die.  I get that, but that don't cut it for a momma who just lost her whole world.  I want that blanket.

Since then, I've learned about different organizations and individuals that donate blankets, hats, gowns, etc. to hospitals just for tragic situations like ours.  Well, clearly our hospital wasn't in the loop because I didn't get anything like that.  Let me sidetrack here a sec.  Even though we didn't get those things, we did get amazing nurses....angles in scrubs.  I can't say enough about the treatment and love we received from the labor and delivery nurses at UT medical center.  They've got the "great people" covered at that hopital.  Now, they just need blankets. I may not be able to offer another grieving mother much advice or comfort.  I'm still trying to navigate this grief thing myself.  I can't do much, but I  can do blankets.

I contacted the hospital and within a day, a wonderful woman called me back.  She said there is a huge need for blankets.  Other parents have donated in their baby's honor, but it hasn't been on a consitent basis.   She confirmed what I now know.  Stillbirth and early infant loss happen more often than people realize.  She ended up sharing with me that she too had experienced a stillbirth.  It truly was a blessing to speak with her.  The bigger blessing in all this is that I not only get to help other women, but I'll be honoring my sweet boy while I do it. 

At first, I thought I would just buy some blankets just to get them where they need to be in a hurry, but that's not good enough.  The babies and mommas receiving these deserve something more special than what Target offers.  They deserve a blanket handmade with love.  My mom owns a monogram shop and has a super seamstress, Brenda, that works with her.  Brenda has offered to make the blankets at no charge.  My mom will also monogram the speical baby's name on the blanket for free  if the parents choose too .  I'm not sure if God intends for this to be a one time thing.  I kinda doubt it, but we'll see where He leads.  He no doubt has opened the door for this, and I gladly step through.  I know it will bless all who are involved.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful act of service, not because you have to, but out of love and caring for others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through Facebook and the Capture Your Grief series. I'm sorry to learn of your loss. My first child was stillborn in October 2010. I just wanted to tell you that I think blankets are a wonderful thing yo donate! Thankfully, my mom brought a blanket her friend had made for our Caroline, so we were able to use it. But our hospital did have small fleece blankets, too. I hate you didn't get to keep that one more precious item, I know how cherished they are.

    ReplyDelete